Recipe: Cacio e Pepe by Tobie Puttock
Cacio e Pepe – Tobie Puttock
- 320g spaghetti
- 250g freshly grated pecorino or parmesan cheese or a combo of the two.
- 1 tablespoon of freshly grated black pepper plus a little extra for finishing
- Best quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil for the pasta and add the pasta.
- Cook as per the manufacturers instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking add the grated cheese and black pepper into a large mixing bowl with a tablespoon or so of the hot pasta water, use a spoon to mix thecheeses with the water while smearing the now melting cheese around the sides of the bowl.
- Once the pasta is cooked drain out the water reserving a a half cup, add the hot pasta to the bowl with the cheese along with a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin oil.
- Immediately turn the hot spaghetti in the cheese using tongs so the hot pasta gets a coating of the silky melted cheese, if the mixture seems too thick add a little of the reserved pasta water to the mixture.
- Serve with a little extra grated pepper.